|Tomatoes||2 lbs||diced/2x15oz cans|
|Green pepper||2 large||chopped|
|Pinto/black beans||2 cups dry||Soak 6hrs /3x16oz cans|
|Tomato paste||6 oz can|
|Red chili powder||to taste|
|Black pepper||to taste|
|Smoked paprika||to taste|
|Cocoa powder||2 tsp|
|Hot sauce||to taste||optional|
|Impossible beef||1 package|
|Porter/Stout Beer||1/2 bottle||optional|
- Soak and pressure cook dry beans (if using)
- In a big pot, saute onion in oil with a little salt till most of the moisture is gone and it starts to brown
- Add tomato paste and cook till it browns and turns brick red
- Deglaze with water/beer, add impossible beef, and cook until it turns color
- Add the minced garlic and mix. Add diced tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, partially mash the cooked beans. If using canned beans, drain and rinse 2 cans and add to pot. Drain and rinse the other can, and mash beans with your hand before adding to the pot.
- Add the peppers (and any other veggies you like), and add water to desired consistency. Add the spice powders, salt, beer, and any hot sauce you like.
- Bring to simmer, turn down the heat and let cook for 20 minutes
- Keep stirring in between to avoid sticking to the pan
- Optionally garnish with thick yogurt/sour cream and green onion/celery leaves