- Arrange eggplant slices in a tray, add salt, and roast at 300F for 1 hour
- Fry cinnamon, bay leaf, and caraway seeds lightly in mustard oil and butter
- Add turmeric, asafoetida, and green chilies, cook for a minute
- Grind the roasted spices into a powder and add to the pan, mix well
- Add the shredded garlic and diced tomatoes, cook with a closed lid for 5 minutes
- Add in the eggplant slices along with the stock, a little salt, and red chili powder
- Close the lid and cook until the eggplant is done.
- Adjust salt and sugar to taste and serve hot with chapati or rice